An US company I will always admire (1 page document written during JAIMS, 25th April 2019)
Microsoft Corporation Common Stock (MSFT)
125.44 USD +1.68 (1.36%) Closed: Apr 23, 7:56 PM EDT
After
hours 125.59 +0.15 (0.12%)
Microsoft has been a company I’ve admired ever since my college days and throughout my professional career. Below are some key reasons why I hold Microsoft in high regard:
Vision
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more. This modern-day vision resonates deeply with me, but what truly stands out is how the company has evolved over the years. I still remember Bill Gates’ statement back in 2002, when he said he wanted to see a computer on every desk and in every home. At the time, I didn’t have access to a computer and couldn’t imagine how that dream would become reality. Yet, now, computers are more affordable than ever, and almost everyone has one at home. It’s incredible to see how much of that vision has materialized and how it has positively impacted lives across the globe.
Leadership
Bill Gates' leadership is something I truly admire. Having a vision is vital, but executing it and inspiring an entire workforce to believe in it requires extraordinary leadership skills. Gates earned the trust and respect of his employees, and that trust played a significant role in Microsoft’s success. His leadership wasn’t just about driving innovation, but also fostering an environment where employees felt empowered to contribute to the company’s mission.
Innovation
Microsoft has always been ahead of the curve when it comes to innovation. The Windows operating system, which powers most desktop and laptop computers today, is just one example. However, what really sets Microsoft apart is its ability to introduce groundbreaking products ahead of their time. During the early 2000s, Microsoft launched products like Microsoft Live (which offered online networking and storage), Messenger, Hotmail, Zune (a media player device that preceded the iPod), and the Surface Computer. These innovations, which I saw between 2002-2006, were ahead of their time, with similar products from competitors only coming to market years later.
Competition
The competition in the tech industry has always been fierce, and I believe that Microsoft’s constant drive for innovation has pushed others to raise the bar. Healthy competition is essential for driving technological advancements, and Microsoft’s role in that has been pivotal. Their innovations, often first to market, have served as a catalyst for others to follow, which has ultimately benefitted the entire industry.
Market Knowledge
Microsoft’s deep understanding of the market and its target audience has been another key to its success. The company was one of the first to recognize the potential for growth in India’s developer community, predicting that the Indian market would become the second-largest for developers after the US. They proactively worked to cultivate relationships with partners and software integrators while also developing evangelists from the ground up, starting with school education. This foresight and strategic approach have strengthened their market presence and helped Microsoft stay ahead of the competition.
In conclusion, Microsoft’s vision, leadership, innovative products, competitive spirit, and market knowledge have made it a company I truly admire. Watching their journey has been inspiring, and I look forward to seeing how they continue to shape the future of technology.
Comments